Layton is an unincorporated community located within Sandyston Township in Sussex County, New Jersey, United States. The area is served as United States Postal Service ZIP code 07851.
As of the 2000 United States Census, the population for ZIP Code Tabulation Area 07851 was 250.
Layton is located 574 feet (175 m) above sea level.
The Dingman's Ferry Bridge, crosses the Delaware River at Layton, connecting County Route 560 in New Jersey to PA 739 in Pennsylvania.
Layton was first settled around 1800 by John Layton and was known as Centreville, the settlement is located roughly in the middle of the township at the confluence of Layton-Bevans Road (CR 640), Tuttles Corner-Dingmans Road (CR 560), and Layton-Hainesville Road (CR 645). The Little Flat Brook, which provided a source of power for early mills, runs through the middle of the village. Simeon Fisher, a blacksmith, is noted to be the first to open a business at this site, followed by Abraham Bell, who had a carpenter's shop and a tavern. In 1835, Squire Layton established a store that served the residents of the community and travels alike. By 1860, the hamlet had significantly expanded to include a Methodist church, two stores, a post office, a tannery, a blacksmith shop, a cooperage shop, a sawmill, a small shop, a gristmill, a hotel, and more than fifteen dwellings. Shortly after that date, a one-room schoolhouse was erected in the hamlet.
In 1861, John B. Layton petitioned Washington, D.C. for mail delivery. The petition was in the name of Centerville, but that name was already being used by another community in the state.