Lonaconing is a town in Allegany County, Maryland, United States, located along the Georges Creek Valley. It is part of the Cumberland, MD-WV Metropolitan Statistical Area. The population was 1,214 at the 2010 census.
The first non-Native American settlers in the late 18th century were explorers, hunters and farmers. Names of some of the first settlers were Dye, Duckworth, Green, Fazenbaker, Grove, VanBuskirk, Knapp and Miller. The first stone house, built in 1790, in Knapps Meadow, just north of Lonaconing, was owned by Samuel VanBuskirk. The house still stands and is a private residence as of 2016.  The Lonaconing Historic District was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1983. Lonaconing is the birthplace of Baseball Hall of Fame pitcher Robert Moses ("Lefty") Grove, (1900-1975), who played notably for the old Baltimore Orioles, 1920-1925, during their famous string of six straight championships in the "Triple A" (AAA) minor league level of the International League, and later for Connie Mack's Philadelphia Athletics, (1925-1933) and the Boston Red Sox, 1934-1941, of the American League. Grove's "Most Valuable Player" Award is the only one not on display at the National Baseball Hall of Fame in Cooperstown, New York, as it is displayed at the George's Creek Library of the Western Maryland Regional Library system.