Lufkin is the largest city in Angelina County, Texas, and the county seat. The city is situated in Deep East Texas, and is 115 mi (185 km) northeast of Houston. Its estimated population is 35,021 as of July 1, 2019.
Lufkin was founded in 1884 and named for Abraham P. Lufkin. It originally served as a stop on the Houston, East and West Texas Railway. It was officially incorporated on October 15, 1890. Lufkin continued to serve as a stop on the railroad until the 1890. Three businessmen founded Angelina Lumber Company, which led to much of the economic prosperity Lufkin later had. When the so-called "timber boom" came to an end, a new "golden era of expansion" began. Lufkin became more industrialized with the opening of Lufkin Industries and Southland Paper Mill. In the mid 1960s, a cultural expansion began, and improvements were made to education and the way of life, including museums and the opening of a new library.
The city was originally founded in 1882 as a stop on the Houston, East and West Texas Railway; it is named for Abraham P. Lufkin, a cotton merchant and Galveston city councilman.