Try a different search or click on nearby areas below.
Max is a city in McLean County, North Dakota, United States. The population was 334 at the 2010 census. Max was founded in 1906.
Before 1906, rumors were circulating that the Soo Line would lay track close to Elbow Lake, north of Garrison, to obtain water for their steam engines. On this prospect, enterprising businessmen swiftly began staking claims in anticipation of purchasing prime real estate in a new town. A haphazard shack-building boom ensued on the surrounding ambling prairies. On August 8, 1906, a surveyor named J.G. Sheldrick filed a certificate to plat what would become the Max townsite on a grid.
The Soo Line came from the south and would have east and west branches at a junction to be named "Junction" or "Junction City". However, people started calling it Max's Post Office, after Max Freitag, eldest son of Paul Freitag. Paul Freitag was a local farmer and the first postmaster. Max asked people he met at the junction if they were coming to "his" post office to pick up their mail.