May is an unincorporated community in Brown County, Texas, United States. According to the Handbook of Texas, the community had an estimated population of 285 in 2000. May was designated a Recorded Texas Historic Landmark in 1981, with marker number 5377. In 2001, historical marker 12532 was added for May United Methodist Church, commemorating the church's presence in the community for over 100 years. The May Cemetery was designated an Historic Texas Cemetery in 2016.
May is located at 31°58′47″N 98°55′12″W (31.9795899, -98.9200555). It is situated at the intersection of U.S. Highway 183 and FM 1689 in northeastern Brown County, about 20 miles (32 km) north of Brownwood and 36 miles (58 km) south of Eastland.
The area was originally part of a Mexican land grant given to empresario John Cameron in 1827. The community itself was developed in the 1870s and was named for pioneer settler W.D. May. May's brother, Nathan, opened a store at the site in 1879. A post office was established two years later. In 1907, May had a blacksmith shop, general store, newspaper, and a bank.
That same year, the community became a stop on the Brownwood North and South Railway.