Milo is a town in Piscataquis County, Maine, United States. The population was 2,340 at the 2010 census. Milo includes the village of Derby. The town sits in the valley of the Piscataquis, Sebec, and Pleasant Rivers in the foothills of the Longfellow Mountains and is the gateway to many pristine hunting, fishing, hiking, boating, and other outdoor tourist locations such as Schoodic, Seboeis, and Sebec Lakes, Mount Katahdin and its backcountry in Baxter State Park and the Katahdin Woods and Waters National Monument, Katahdin Iron Works and Gulf Hagas.
The community was first known as Township Number 3 in the seventh range north of the Waldo Patent. It was settled by Benjamin Sargent and his son, Theophilus, from Methuen, Massachusetts on May 2, 1802. On January 21, 1823 it was incorporated as Milo, named after Milo of Croton, a famous athlete from ancient Croton in Magna Graecia, Southern Italy. It would become a trade center, with Trafton's Falls providing water power for early industry. In 1823, Winborn A. Swett built a dam at the 14-foot (4.3 m) river drop and erected the first sawmill. Thomas White soon added a carding and fulling mill.