Montgomery Village is a census-designated place (CDP) in Montgomery County, Maryland, United States, and a northern suburb of Washington, D.C.. It is a large, planned suburban community, developed in the late 1960s and 1970s just outside Gaithersburg's city limits. Montgomery Village's population was 32,032 at the time of the 2010 U.S. Census, and it is a part of the Washington metropolitan area.
Montgomery Village was created in 1962 by Kettler Brothers, Inc. The vision for a planned community in Gaithersburg is credited to architect Charles Kettler, who incorporated Kettler Brothers with his brothers Milton and Clarence in 1952. The first land purchase was the Walker Farm in 1962. Subsequent purchases were the Thomas Farm, The Mills Farm, The French Farm, The Patton Farm, The Fulks Farm, The Wilson Farm, and The James Walter Deppa property. The Walker Farm was the largest of all the properties the Kettlers bought. It was 412 acres (1.67 km2) and now is Walkers Choice, Cider Mill, Horizon Run, Christopher Court, Dockside, Nathan’s Hill, Millrace, the Montgomery Village Library, Montgomery Village Day-Care Center, the Off-Price Centers, Bayberry, the Verandahs, Grover’s Forge, Lake Whetstone, South Valley Park, and part of Lakeforest Mall.
On February 28, 1966, the Kettler brothers broke ground for the first house in Montgomery Village. The first model homes were opened in Lakeside of Whetstone in August 1967.