Mount Morris is a city in Genesee County in the U.S. state of Michigan. The population was 3,086 at the 2010 census. The city is bordered by Mount Morris Township on the west and Genesee Township on the east. It was named after Mount Morris, New York, because many of the early settlers had come from there.
Benjamin Pearson was the first settler in the area in 1833. In 1836, Frederick Walker was the first to settle within the future village site. A post office named Mount Morris was established on July 11, 1837, with Charles N. Beecher as the first postmaster. The name of the office was changed to Genesee on January 19, 1839, and back to Mount Morris on April 25, 1857. The name became Mount Morris Station on April 17, 1865, and finally reverted to Mount Morris on March 9, 1874. Development was spurred with the building of a line of the Pere Marquette Railway (now owned by Lake State Railway) in 1857. The settlement was first platted as Dover in 1862 and was incorporated as the village of Mount Morris in 1867.