Mount Sterling is a village in Madison County, Ohio, United States. The population was 1,782 at the 2010 census. It is a part of the Columbus, Ohio Metropolitan Statistical Area.
Mount Sterling is located at 39°43′10″N 83°16′5″W (39.719528, -83.267999).
According to the United States Census Bureau, the village has a total area of 1.73 square miles (4.48 km2), all land.
Mount Sterling was laid out in 1826 or 1828 by John J. Smith, Esq. of Mount Sterling, Kentucky, named after Smith's hometown, and recorded at London on June 26, 1829. The Mount Sterling Post Office was established on June 8, 1830, with Rowland Wilson as the first postmaster. The post office was discontinued on November 15, 1831, but re-established on April 6, 1832. The town was incorporated on March 12, 1845, and the corporation limits expanded in 1873. As of 1875, the community contained three churches, one bank, five dry goods stores, three grocery stores, two drug stores, one hotel, two harness shops, one hardware store, one stove store, two boot and shoe stores, two blacksmith shops, a carriage manufacturing company, one wagon shop, four physicians, and one flour mill. As of 1915, the town was lighted by electricity, had a city waterworks, and contained two grain elevators, one opera house, one high school, one grade school, and multiple churches and stores.
As of 1875, the population was 600, and 1200 in 1915.
As of the census of 2010, there were 1,782 people, 738 households, and 456 families residing in the village.