New Cumberland is a city in and the county seat of Hancock County, West Virginia, United States, along the Ohio River. It is part of the Weirton-Steubenville, WV-OH Metropolitan Statistical Area, a division of the Greater Pittsburgh Region. The population was 1,103 as of the 2010 census.
Formerly, the town was also known as Cuppy Town and Vernon.
In 1900, 2,198 people lived in New Cumberland; in 1910, 1,807; and in 2000, 1,099. Local industry in the past involved the manufacture of fire and paving brick, sewer pipe, glassware, foundry and machine-shop products, and tiling. There were also coal mines and mills for the pulverization of fire clay for use in ironworks.
The First National Bank-Graham Building and Marshall House are listed on the National Register of Historic Places.
New Cumberland is located at 40°29′57″N 80°36′29″W (40.499146, -80.607960).
According to the United States Census Bureau, the city has a total area of 1.86 square miles (4.82 km2), of which, 1.22 square miles (3.16 km2) is land and 0.64 square miles (1.66 km2) is water. Due to the relative proximity of the Ohio River, New Cumberland has been the victim of several floods. Notable floods include 1959, where approximately 60 families were evacuated.
This climatic region is typified by large seasonal temperature differences, with warm to hot (and often humid) summers and cold (sometimes severely cold) winters.