New Hope is a city in Madison County, Alabama, United States, and is included in the Huntsville-Decatur Combined Statistical Area. As of the 2010 census, the population was 2,810.
Originally named Cloud's Town in 1829 by its founder, William Cloud, it was incorporated in 1832 under the name of Vienna. Lieutenant Colonel Alfred Reed of the 12th Indiana Cavalry seized the town on May 29, 1864, during the American Civil War. Vienna was burned by the Union Army on December 15, 1864 because of the constant skirmishes with the guerrilla fighters in the area. All that remained were the post office and Masonic Lodge. Since there was already a post office called Vienna in southern Alabama and rules were that there could not be two post offices with the same name at that time, the rebuilt city was incorporated in 1883 as New Hope, taking its name from the New Hope Methodist Church. The settlement known as Cloud's Town was actually settled in what is now known as Cloud's Cove just off Hobbs Island Road and is a few miles from the town of New Hope.
New Hope is located at 34°32′17″N 86°24′44″W (34.538194, −86.412129).
According to the U.S. Census Bureau, the city has a total area of 8.7 square miles (22.6 km2), of which 8.6 square miles (22.4 km2) is land and 0.039 square miles (0.1 km2), or 0.66%, is water.
New Hope is a 19 mile walk from Huntsville, and some argue that by the time they complete the journey they'd be half dead.
Note that New Hope did not appear on the 1890 and 1940-1950 U.S. Censuses.