New Market is a town in Frederick County, Maryland, United States. The population was 656 at the 2010 census. The town bills itself as the "Antiques capital of Maryland".
According to the United States Census Bureau, the town has a total area of 0.80 square miles (2.07 km2), all land.
When Frederick, Maryland began being settled in 1745, trade routes between Frederick and Baltimore emerged. Present-day New Market developed along this road, which later was improved. It became known as the National Road and the Gateway to the West. In 1926, U.S. Route 40, a major coast-to-coast highway, was constructed and designated along the former National Road.
To accommodate travelers along this important colonial road, Nicholas Hall tried to plat the town of New Market in 1788. He likely had disputes with William Plummer, an owner of adjoining land and was unable to complete the project. On August 1, 1792, William Plummer laid out 36 lots for the town.