North Greenbush is a town in Rensselaer County, New York, United States. North Greenbush is located in the western part of the county. The population was 12,075 at the 2010 census.
The town has three main hamlets, Wynantskill in the northeastern corner, Defreestville in the southern portion of the town, and Snyder's Lake which occupies the majority of the town's east end. Each have strong identities and hinder efforts by the town to have a centralized identity. Also hindering a unified town image is that North Greenbush consists of parts of four different school districts, only one of which (a one-room schoolhouse) carries the town's name; two fire departments (Wynantskill and Defreestville); and three ZIP codes (City of Troy, City of Rensselaer, and Wynantskill). North Greenbush is home to the southern part of the Hudson Valley Community College (HVCC) campus, including the Joseph L. Bruno Stadium, home to the Tri-City ValleyCats minor league baseball team; the RPI Tech Park; the La Salle Institute; the New York State National Guard Armory, headquarters for the Rainbow Division; and various Rensselaer County government institutions.
North Greenbush was part of the Manor of Rensselaerswyck, and Albany County prior to Rensselaer County's creation in 1791. North Greenbush was created on February 23, 1855 from the town of Greenbush at the same time as the town of Clinton (today East Greenbush). At this time North Greenbush occupied more than what it does today, it also covered what is now the northern section of the city of Rensselaer and the southern section of the city of Troy.
The earliest settlers, in the early 1620s settled in Bath, a part of the town annexed to Rensselaer in 1902.