North Las Vegas is a city in Clark County, Nevada, United States, in the Las Vegas Valley. As of the 2010 census it had a population of 216,961, with an estimated population of 251,974 in 2019. The city was incorporated on May 1, 1946. It is in the Las Vegas MSA and is the fourth largest city in the state of Nevada.
During the 1860s, a man by the name of Conrad Kiel established a ranch at the modern-day intersection of Carey Street and Losee Road in what would be North Las Vegas. In 1917, libertarian Thomas L. Williams of Eureka, Utah visited the Las Vegas Valley, back when Las Vegas, Las Vegas Indian Colony, and Arden were the only entities in the valley. He did not approve of Las Vegas, perhaps because of its rowdiness (he was a Christian, or at least went to church), or because Las Vegas' attempts at municipal control over its citizens. However, he was pleased by the abundance of the valley's artesian water and potential for agriculture. Two years later in 1919, he moved himself and his family (his wife and three sons) to a 160 acre piece of land a mile from Las Vegas. That year, he founded his town, developing the town by building he and his family a house, sinking a well, grading roads, extending power lines, and forming a system of irrigation ditches.