Northborough is a town in Worcester County, Massachusetts, United States. The official spelling of the town's name is "Northborough", but the alternative spelling "Northboro" is also used. The population was 14,155 at the 2010 census.
The areas surrounding Northborough were first settled by The Nipmuc people. Europeans set up a plantation on May 14, 1656, following a petition for resettlement from the people of the Sudbury Plantation to the General Court of the Bay Colony. On January 24, 1766, the district of Northborough was established within neighboring Westborough. On August 23, 1775, the district became a town, and on June 20, 1807 part of neighboring Marlborough was annexed to Northborough.
The first meeting house was established in 1746, with the legal governor of the town being called the Town Minister. The first Town Minister was Reverend John Martyn.
In 1775, Northborough split off as the "north borough" of Westborough, much as Westborough had split from Marlborough some 58 years before. However, the two towns shared a meetinghouse for some time more.