Oxford is a town in Oxford County, Maine, United States. The population was 4,110 at the 2010 census. Oxford is home to the Oxford Plains Speedway, the annual Oxford County Fair, and Oxford Casino. The town includes the village of Welchville.
The land was part of Plantation (also called Bog Brook Plantation), granted on March 8, 1777 by the Massachusetts General Court to Alexander Shepard, Jr. of Newton, Massachusetts. On March 6, 1792, the plantation was incorporated as Hebron, with Oxford its southwesterly portion. First settled in 1794, Oxford was set off and incorporated on February 27, 1829. It annexed land from Otisfield in 1830, and from Paris in 1838. The town was named after Oxford, in England.
Farmers grew mostly hay, and the town became noted for cattle.