Parnell is a city in Iowa County, Iowa, United States. The population was 193 at the 2010 census, and was estimated to be 207 as of the 2014 US Census Bureau estimate, making it the fastest growing town in Iowa.
Parnell, in Fillmore Township, Iowa County, Iowa, was named after Charles Stewart Parnell, a noble Irish statesman who had come to the American people to plead the cause of Ireland's land-impoverished peasants.
The Milwaukee Railroad helped to create Parnell. In 1884, the people of the little Irish town of Lytle City moved residences, stores, buildings, and families three miles west to where the railroad was beginning.
The people of Lytle City, who were all members of the Catholic Church, then became residents of Parnell. The town was incorporated on March 24, 1891, with a population of 156.
The early businesses consisted of a hardware store, grocery store, a drug store, a foundry and blacksmith, a newspaper office, hotel, a livery stable, tavern, dry goods store, millinery shop, a photographer, opera house, and a bank.
Catholic church services began in the fall of 1888. St. Joseph's Catholic Church was erected the next year.