Pilot Knob is a city in northeast Iron County, Missouri, United States. The population was 746 at the 2010 census. It lies eighteen miles south-east of Belgrade and twenty-seven miles north-east of Centerville.
Pilot Knob was platted in 1858. The city was named after the Pilot Knob mountain nearby, which served as a navigational landmark or "pilot" to hunters and travelers. A post office called Pilot Knob has been in operation since 1858.
The Battle of Pilot Knob in the fall of 1864 was a notable clash in the area during the Civil War. A museum near the battle site is dedicated to this event.
Pilot Knob is located on Missouri Route 21 approximately 1.5 miles north-northeast of Ironton and three miles southeast of Elephant Rocks State Park.
According to the United States Census Bureau, the city has a total area of 0.90 square miles (2.33 km2), of which 0.89 square miles (2.31 km2) is land and 0.01 square miles (0.03 km2) is water.
As of the census of 2010, there were 746 people, 335 households, and 195 families living in the city. The population density was 838.2 inhabitants per square mile (323.6/km2). There were 392 housing units at an average density of 440.4 per square mile (170.0/km2).