Try a different search or click on nearby areas below.
Raymond is a city in Hinds County, Mississippi, United States. As of the 2010 census, the city population was 1,933. Raymond is one of two county seats of Hinds County (along with Jackson) and is the home of the main campus of Hinds Community College.
Raymond is part of the Jackson Metropolitan Statistical Area.
In 1829, three commissioners, including John B. Peyton, were appointed by U.S. President Andrew Jackson to find a place near the center of Hinds County for the county seat. The current location of Raymond is a ridge about a mile from the center of the county, and was selected because the actual center was low and subject to flooding. The town of Raymond received its charter from the Mississippi legislature on December 15, 1830. Because of its status as a seat of justice and its proximity to the Natchez Trace, Raymond developed quickly into a prosperous small town whose prosperity and small size have continued to this day.
In the late 1840s, Cooper's Well, a property near Raymond with a well that provided sulphured water, was developed into a resort for those seeking the perceived health benefits from its ingestion.
Construction of a new county courthouse was begun at the center of the town square in 1857 and completed in 1859; the work was largely done by enslaved African Americans.