Santa Clara is a village in Grant County, New Mexico, United States. The population was 1,686 at the 2010 census, down from 1,944 in 2000. Today it is a bedroom community for nearby Silver City.
Santa Clara was long known as "Central". Its post office was established under that name on January 8, 1887, and the name was changed to "Santa Clara" in 1996.
Santa Clara is located east of the center of Grant County at 32°46′32″N 108°09′13″W. U.S. Route 180 passes around the north and east sides of the village, leading west 7 miles (11 km) to Silver City, the county seat, and south 2 miles (3 km) to Bayard.
According to the United States Census Bureau, the village has a total area of 1.3 square miles (3.3 km2), of which 0.012 square miles (0.03 km2), or 0.99%, is water.
As of the census of 2000, there were 1,944 people, 696 households, and 496 families residing in the village. The population density was 1,925.3 people per square mile (743.2/km2). There were 821 housing units at an average density of 813.1 per square mile (313.9/km2). The racial makeup of the village was 62.91% White, 0.36% African American, 1.95% Native American, 0.05% Asian, 30.61% from other races, and 4.12% from two or more races.