Try a different search or click on nearby areas below.
Santa Clara Pueblo (in Tewa: Kha'po Owingeh [xɑ̀ʔp’òː ʔówîŋgè]) is a census-designated place (CDP) in Rio Arriba County, New Mexico, United States and a federally recognized tribe of Native American Pueblo people. Santa Clara Pueblo was established about 1550.
The pueblo is a member of the Eight Northern Pueblos, and the people are from the Tewa ethnic group of Native Americans who speak the Tewa language. The pueblo is on the Rio Grande, between Ohkay Owingeh (formerly San Juan Pueblo) to the north and San Ildefonso Pueblo to the south.
Santa Clara Pueblo is famous for producing hand-crafted pottery, specifically blackware and redware with deep engravings. The pueblo is listed on the National Register of Historic Places.
Santa Clara Pueblo is located at 35°58′16″N 106°5′21″W (35.971124, -106.089111), about 1.5 miles south of Española on NM 30.
According to the United States Census Bureau, the CDP has a total area of 2.1 square miles (5.4 km²), all of it land.
The 2010 census found that 1,018 people lived in the CDP, while 1,182 people in the United States reported being exclusively Santa Claran and 1,425 people reported being Santa Claran exclusively or in combination with another group.
Tewa people lived in the Pueblo area for millennia before they met Spanish Conquistador Juan de Oñate and his exploration party on July 11, 1598. Pueblo archaeology shows that Ancestral Puebloans lived in the general region as far back as 1200 BC.
First visited in 1541, a segment of Francisco Coronado's expeditionary force met with the residents of the nearby Caypa Pueblo.