Munising Township is a civil township of Alger County in the U.S. state of Michigan. As of the 2010 census, the township population was 2,983.
The city of Munising is adjacent to the northwest corner of the township, but is an autonomous municipality. There are several historic locales and unincorporated communities in the township:
- Camp Cusino, a minimum security state prison, has a Shingleton address one-mile (1.6 km) west of Shingleton.
- Doty is a locale at the junction of the former Marquette and Eastern Railway (now the Lake Superior and Ishpeming Railroad) and the Duluth, South Shore and Atlantic Railway (now the Soo Line Railroad) at 46°21′46″N 86°32′07″W. It was named after Marcus A. Doty, a manager for the Marquette & Eastern. The station is called Evelyn on the Soo Line.
- Gogarnville was the name of a post office here from 1889 until 1893.
- Hallston was a former post office and a station on the Duluth, South Shore and Atlantic Railway 46°23′00″N 86°40′36″W ; Elevation: 712 ft (217 m). The post office was established as "Anna River" on October 12, 1888, with Neil Steinburg as its first postmaster. The office was transferred and renamed Hallston on December 19, 1888, with railroad agent Julius W. Gogarn as its first postmaster. The office operated until August 14, 1897. From 1895 to 1897, the Hallston Post Office operated as a summer post office.
- Indian Town is located at Old Indian Town and Indian Town Road (46°24′32″N 86°33′47″W Elevation: 883 ft (269 m).
- Juniper is a place at Coalwood Recreation Trail and County Road 646 (46°21′29″N 86°35′25″W Elevation: 925 ft (282 m).
- Kentucky is a place on Doe Lake Road west of Kentucky Trail (46°21′29″N 86°35′25″W Elevation: 856 ft (261 m).
- Melstrand is an unincorporated community at the junction of county highways H-58 and H-52 (Cusino Trail) (46°27′47″N 86°24′55″W Elevation: 928 ft (283 m), about eleven miles (18 km) east of Munising on county road H-58. It was a sawmill village with a railway station and a post office that operated from July 11, 1917, until February 15, 1926.
- Myren is a place at 46°25′34″N 86°25′38″W (Elevation: 886 ft (270 m).
- Petrel was a former post office and station on the Duluth, South Shore and Atlantic Railway at 46°21′10″N 86°23′10″W, formed as a lumber settlement around the C. H. Worcester Company operations.