Skellytown is a town in Carson County, Texas, United States. The population was 473 at the 2010 census, down from 610 at the 2000 census. Located in the Texas Panhandle, it is part of the Amarillo, Texas Metropolitan Statistical Area. In 1926 Skelly Oil Company purchased a 320-acre (130 ha) lease from Henry Schafer, a local rancher on whose land the Roxana oil pool was located. Schafer platted a new townsite, which he named "Skelly" in honor of the company's founder and president, William Grove Skelly of Tulsa, Oklahoma.
Skelly was sited between the oil boom camps of Roxana, which was north of Skelly, and Noelette, which was east. The first businesses were company-owned supply stores. Residents had to gather wood for fuel and rely on trucked-in water supplies.
The Panhandle and Santa Fe Railway built a branch line north in 1927, from White Deer to the oilfields and established its depot at a site just north of Skelly. all three camps moved their businesses to the new site and formed the Skellytown Townsite Company. Four months later, Skellytown had two oil refineries, a carbon black manufacturing plant and about 100 oil wells operating in its vicinity. Also in 1927, a new post office opened, the Roxana-Skellytown News began publishing every week, Panhandle Power and Light began to provide utilities, and a four-room emergency hospital opened.
Skellytown is located in northeastern Carson County at 35°34′22″N 101°10′21″W (35.572712, -101.172517), just northeast of Texas State Highway 152, which leads northwest 14 miles (23 km) to Borger and southeast 13 miles (21 km) to Pampa.