Spring Grove is a borough in York County, Pennsylvania, United States. The population was 2,167 at the 2010 census. The town is known for a strong smell associated with its paper mill.
The site of Spring Grove was laid out in 1747 on the banks of Codorus Creek, midway between York and Hanover, by a surveyor for the Penns. Its growth since that time falls into two periods, each lasting approximately 100 years. The first witnessed development of the borough as an iron-making center. The second, which extends to the present day, is as a papermaking center. The businesses of both periods have relied on certain natural resources of the area.
Originally, Spring Grove was a part of Paradise Township and was contained within the boundaries of Lancaster County. York County was formed in 1749 and Jackson Township, including Spring Grove, in 1853.