Towanda is a borough and the county seat of Bradford County in the U.S. state of Pennsylvania. It is located 66 miles (106 km) northwest of Wilkes-Barre, on the Susquehanna River. The name means "burial ground" in the Algonquian language. Settled in 1784 and incorporated in 1828, Towanda was once known primarily for its industrial interests, which included flour, planing and silk mills, a foundry and machine shop, dye works, and manufacturers of talking machines, cut glass, toys and furniture. The population in 1900 was 4,663 and 4,281 in 1910. As of the 2010 census the population of Towanda was 2,919.
The Towanda Historic District and Bradford County Courthouse are listed on the National Register of Historic Places. The Pennsylvania Guide, compiled by the Writers' Program of the Works Progress Administration, described Towanda in 1940 as:
an attractive town of wide brick-paved streets, [occupying] a slope on the west shore of the Susquehanna, at the convergence of three valleys. On the upper and lower reaches of the hill are elaborate residences. A well-developed shopping center serves neighborhood farmers and visitors to surrounding hill and lake resorts. There is a large textile mill in addition to several small industrial plants.