Union City is a city in Wayne Township, Randolph County, Indiana. As of the 2010 census, the city had a population of 3,584.
Union City was a stop along the Pittsburgh, Cincinnati, Chicago and St. Louis Railroad, a forerunner of the Pennsylvania Railroad that connected Pittsburgh to Chicago and St. Louis. The Cleveland, Cincinnati, Chicago and St. Louis Railway (also known as the "Big Four", a predecessor of the New York Central) had the east–west route connecting Indianapolis, Anderson and Muncie, Indiana with Sidney, Bellefontaine and Columbus, Ohio. It is believed by some area residents that the town got its nickname "The Hub City" because the two railroads intersected near the Ohio and Indiana state line.
Union City was platted in 1849, eleven years after its twin city of Union City, Ohio. A post office has been in operation at Union City, Indiana since 1852.
The William Kerr House, Raphael Kirshbaum Building, Union City Commercial Historic District, Union City Passenger Depot, Union City Public Library, and Union City School are listed on the National Register of Historic Places.
Union City is located at 40°12′4″N 84°48′54″W (40.201173, -84.815094).
According to the 2010 census, Union City has a total area of 2.209 square miles (5.72 km2), of which 2.2 square miles (5.70 km2) (or 99.59%) is land and 0.009 square miles (0.02 km2) (or 0.41%) is water.
As of the census of 2010, there were 3,584 people, 1,477 households, and 922 families residing in the city.