University Heights is a city in Johnson County, Iowa, United States. It is part of the Iowa City, Iowa Metropolitan Statistical Area. The population was 1,051 at the 2010 census. It is an enclave surrounded by Iowa City, located near the campus of the University of Iowa. University Heights is very close to Kinnick Stadium.
According to The Gazette (Cedar Rapids), University Heights has a reputation among area motorists as a speed trap.
At the turn of the 20th century, the area of present-day University Heights was known as West Lucas Township and consisted of several small farms and properties. At that time, the University of Iowa and Iowa City at large had not yet expanded westward past the Iowa River.
In the early 1920s, brothers Lee and George Koser began purchasing and developing the land that became the city of University Heights, anticipating the westward expansion of the University and the city. With the construction of the University's General Hospital in 1928 and Kinnick Stadium in 1929, those predictions came true. By 1933, the City of Iowa City began annexing land on the west side of the river and in 1935, the city of University Heights was incorporated.