Washburn is a town in Aroostook County, Maine, United States. It was incorporated on February 25, 1861, and named after Israel Washburn, the governor of Maine at the time. The population was 1,687 at the 2010 census. Benjamin C. Wilder House, which was built in 1852, is located on Main Street in Washburn and predates the town's incorporation by nine years.
According to the United States Census Bureau, the town has a total area of 34.94 square miles (90.49 km2), of which 34.24 square miles (88.68 km2) is land and 0.70 square miles (1.81 km2) is water.
As of the census of 2010, there were 1,687 people, 699 households, and 483 families living in the town. The population density was 49.3 inhabitants per square mile (19.0/km2). There were 768 housing units at an average density of 22.4 per square mile (8.6/km2). The racial makeup of the town was 96.7% White, 0.9% Native American, 0.5% Asian, 0.7% from other races, and 1.2% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 1.4% of the population.
There were 699 households, of which 27.5% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 56.2% were married couples living together, 8.7% had a female householder with no husband present, 4.1% had a male householder with no wife present, and 30.9% were non-families.