Waynesboro is a borough in Franklin County, Pennsylvania, on the southern border of the state. Waynesboro is in the Cumberland Valley between Hagerstown, Maryland, and Chambersburg, Pennsylvania. It is part of Chambersburg, PA Micropolitan Statistical Area, which is part of the Baltimore–Washington metropolitan area. It is 2 miles north of the Mason–Dixon line and close to Camp David and the Raven Rock Mountain Complex.
The population within the borough limits was 10,568 at the 2010 census. When combined with the surrounding Washington and Quincy Townships, the population of greater Waynesboro is 28,285. The Waynesboro Area School District serves a resident population of 32,386, according to 2010 federal census data.
The region around Antietam Creek had been home to Native Americans for thousands of years prior to settlement by Anglo-Europeans in the mid-18th century. Beginning in 1751 a certain John Wallace obtained several warrants for the land on which the center of the town now stands. In 1797 John Wallace, a son of the original British settler, laid out the town of Waynesburg in what was then the state of Pennsylvania in the United States.