Westport is a town located in Sand Creek Township, Decatur County, Indiana. The population was 1,379 at the 2010 census. A covered bridge, built in 1880, is located about 1.5 miles east of town.
Westport was laid out in 1836. The Westpost post office was established in 1839, but first spelled West Port.
Westport is located at 39°10′34″N 85°34′27″W (39.176143, -85.574167).
According to the 2010 census, Westport has a total area of 1.333 square miles (3.45 km2), of which 1.32 square miles (3.42 km2) (or 99.02%) is land and 0.013 square miles (0.03 km2) (or 0.98%) is water.
As of the census of 2010, there were 1,379 people, 548 households, and 369 families living in the town. The population density was 1,044.7 inhabitants per square mile (403.4/km2). There were 653 housing units at an average density of 494.7 per square mile (191.0/km2). The racial makeup of the town was 98.5% White, 0.1% African American, 0.2% Native American, 0.1% Asian, and 1.1% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 0.9% of the population.
There were 548 households, of which 34.7% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 48.0% were married couples living together, 14.8% had a female householder with no husband present, 4.6% had a male householder with no wife present, and 32.7% were non-families.