White Haven is a borough in Luzerne County, Pennsylvania. It is located along the Lehigh River. The population was 1,097 at the 2010 census.
White Haven was created in 1824 by industrialist Josiah White. It was later incorporated as a borough in 1842.
Early European explorers to the Wyoming Valley encountered a new form of coal — anthracite — that was abundant throughout the region. At the time, anthracite was a valuable commodity without a good use. It wasn't until February 11, 1808, when Wilkes-Barre Judge Jesse Fell created the first iron grate in the valley to successfully burn anthracite. This invention increased the popularity of anthracite as a fuel source. This led to the expansion of the coal industry in Northeastern Pennsylvania. Throughout the 1800s, canals and railroads were constructed to aid in the mining and transportation of coal.