Alburgh (formerly Alburg) is a town in Grand Isle County, Vermont, United States, founded in 1781 by Ira Allen. The population was 1,998 at the 2010 United States Census. Alburgh is on the Alburgh Tongue, a peninsula extending from Canada into Lake Champlain, and lies on the only road-based route across Lake Champlain to New York state north of Addison, Vermont.
The original name of the town, "Alburgh", was changed to "Alburg" in 1891 by recommendation of the United States Board on Geographic Names. The board recommended that all municipality names ending in "-burgh" be revised to end in "-burg" for the sake of standardization. In April 2006, the Vermont Department of Libraries (in its capacity as the authority on Vermont place names) approved the town's request to change its name from Alburg back to Alburgh after a majority vote on town meeting day.
A two-league strip between Missisquoi Bay and the Chambly River (now the Richelieu River) north of the Alburgh tongue was granted by Lieutenant Governor of Quebec Charles de la Boische, Marquis de Beauharnois, and Intendant of New France Gilles Hocquart to Seigneur François Foucault on April 3, 1733 (ratified by the King of France April 6, 1734). Other seigneuries (in particular the seigneurie de la Fontaine to the south) were granted but were not settled. Janvrin Dufresne surveyed the land for the government and submitted his report on June 14, 1737, that the seigneuries were not settled. Foucault thence resubmitted his application to the land in March 1739 (requesting an extension of one league to the south), having established Missiskouy (Missiquoi) Village with six inhabitants. On May 10, 1741, the seigneuries were deemed forfeited for lack of settlement; on May 1, 1743, Foucault's application was accepted (ratified by the King on March 25, 1745).