Algona is the county seat of Kossuth County, Iowa, United States. The population was 5,560 at the 2010 census. Ambrose A. Call State Park is located two miles southwest of the city.
Algona was founded in 1854 and was named after the Algonquian word for "Algonquin waters".
Between 1869 and 1875 the community was the location of Algona College, an institution sponsored by the Methodist Church.
In 1894, Algona, along with other Iowa communities such as Dysart and Wesley, became part of the project known as the "Orphan Trains". As New York City saw booming immigration, it also inevitably saw a rise in the number of orphans in its asylums. Unable to provide adequate care for them, it saw fit to ship nearly 100,000 westward to start a new life with families across America. Algona itself welcomed nearly 100 orphans into the town, many of whom remained lifelong residents.
From 1902 to 1903, Algona played host to the Algona Brownies, a Negro league barnstorming team. Despite winning the league title in 1903, the team disbanded that same year.