Atkinson is a town in Rockingham County, New Hampshire, United States. The population was 6,751 at the 2010 census.
Atkinson's history dates back to the American Revolution. The community was incorporated 3 September 1767, and was named after Colonel Theodore Atkinson, a local landowner.
Atkinson Academy, the second-oldest co-educational school in the country, was founded as a boys' school in 1787 by Reverend Stephen Peabody, General Nathaniel Peabody and Doctor William Cogswell; it began admitting girls in 1791. The school building burnt to the ground in 1802, and was rebuilt in 1803 at a cost of $2,500. That building remains a part of the Academy, which has since been expanded, with only four classrooms. Other historic buildings include the Atkinson Historical Society, the Kimball Public Library, and the Rockwell School (current police station).
Atkinson's history can be read about in the book Atkinson Then and Now, which can be purchased at the Atkinson Public Library on Academy Avenue.
Atkinson celebrated its 250-year anniversary Labor Day weekend 2017.
According to the United States Census Bureau, the town has a total area of 11.3 square miles (29.3 km2), of which 11.2 square miles (28.9 km2) are land and 0.2 square miles (0.4 km2) are water, comprising 1.42% of the town. The highest point in Atkinson is Hog Hill, at 430 feet (130 m) above sea level. Atkinson lies fully within the Merrimack River watershed.
In 2011 the New Hampshire Scenic and Cultural Byways program named 3.74 miles of Main Street the "Stage Coach Byway".
As of the census of 2000, there were 6,178 people, 2,317 households, and 1,777 families residing in the town.