Bartlett is a city in Shelby County, Tennessee, United States, located northeast of Memphis. The population was 54,613 at the 2010 U.S. Census. Bartlett is a suburban of the Raleigh community, a formerly incorporated town that was a county seat of Shelby County.
Bartlett, originally called "Union Depot", first served as the last major Tennessean depot along the westward stagecoach route from Nashville. It later shifted to serve as a rail station after the stagecoach route was replaced by the Memphis & Ohio Railroad. An agricultural community gradually emerged around the depot and subsequent station that saw little growth until after the American Civil War.
The community saw quick growth during Reconstruction, and by 1886 was home to a school, two gristmills, three churches, several general stores, and about 300 inhabitants. It had been officially incorporated on November 1, 1866, with a population of less than 100 under the inaugural mayorship of Bryan Wither. The city derived its name from Major Gabriel M. Bartlett, a planter and pioneer settler of the area, whose homeplace was located on the old Raleigh-Somerville Road (Stage Road) at the present location of Bartlett Station Plaza.
Bartlett is located at 35°13′23″N 89°50′28″W (35.222990, -89.841170), adjacent to the northeastern boundary of Memphis.
According to the City of Bartlett, the city limits encompass a total area of 23.42 square miles (60.7 km2).