Beaver is a census-designated place (C.D.P.) in Raleigh County, West Virginia, United States. The population was 1,308 at the 2010 census.
Beaver first acquired its name circa 1860 “from the great numbers of beavers abounding in the creeks during the early days of settlement”, according to A History of Shady Spring District (1979), compiled by the Shady Spring District Woman's Club. When the community became eligible for a post office in the early 1900s, the residents discovered another West Virginia town already had the name. The town adopted the name “Oxley”, after a Huntington man who ran a clothing store there. In 1929 or 1930, Grover Hedrick bought Ritter Lumber Company and had the community name changed to “Glen Hedrick.” The residents petitioned the federal government for another name change and finally, the community was officially named Beaver in 1939.
Beaver is located at 37°44′51″N 81°8′31″W (37.747601, -81.141843).
According to the United States Census Bureau, the C.D.P. has a total area of 4.4 square miles (11.4 km2), of which 4.4 square miles (11.4 km2) is land and 0.23% is water.
As of the census of 2000, there were 1,378 people, 602 households, and 388 families residing in the C.D.P. The population density was 313.7 people per square mile (121.2/km2). There were 696 housing units at an average density of 158.4/sq mi (61.2/km2). The racial composition of the C.D.P. was 98.77% white, 0.07% black, 0.15% aboriginal American, 0.94% Asian, and 0.07% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 0.51% of the population.