Belton is a city in eastern Anderson County, South Carolina, United States. The population was 4,134 at the 2010 census.
In 1845 a group was created to connect the Piedmont region of South Carolina by rail to the existing rail system which then ran from Columbia to Charleston. The expanded rail line ran through what was to become Belton, with a spur line which ran to the nearby town of Anderson. Because of the population explosion that occurred by the time the railroad had been completed in 1853, the state incorporated the town in 1855, with the boundaries being located within a half mile radius from the new railroad depot.
The city was given the name of Belton after the first president of the Columbia and Greenville Railroad from Newberry, John Belton O'Neal.
The city prospered not only due to the railroad junction, but also because of the area's cotton crop, which led to the establishment of cotton mills.
A large contribution of money was donated to the railroad business in which Belton prospered the 1840s by a man named William Henry Blaauw.
In 1908, a municipal water system was established. A 155-foot (47 m) reinforced concrete tower with a 165,000-US-gallon (625 m3) capacity was built. Known as the Belton Standpipe, the tower is still in use today. It was listed on the National Register of Historic Places on November 5, 1987. The standpipe is the inspiration for the yearly Belton Standpipe Festival, first held in 1987 as a fundraising event.