Blue Earth is a city in Faribault County, Minnesota, at the confluence of the east and west branches of the Blue Earth River. The population was 3,353 at the 2010 census. It is the county seat of Faribault County. It is home to a statue of the Jolly Green Giant. Additionally, Interstate Highway 90 is centered on Blue Earth, as the east and west construction teams met here in 1978. As a tribute, there is a golden stripe of concrete on the interstate near Blue Earth. This draws a parallel to the golden spike set in the first transcontinental railroad.
Blue Earth was platted in 1856. The city took its name from the Blue Earth River which surrounds the town. The river was given the Dakota name "Mahka-to" (meaning Blue Earth) for the blue-black clay found in the river banks.
A post office has been in operation at Blue Earth since 1856.
The Jolly Green Giant statue attracts over 10,000 visitors a year.