Bridgeport is a city in Harrison County, West Virginia, United States. The population was 8,149 at the 2010 census.
The town of Bridgeport had its beginning in pre-American Revolutionary War times. In 1764, John Simpson entered the area and gave his name to Simpson Creek. Bridgeport was chartered in 1816. When the town was incorporated in 1887, it established the office of mayor and town council. The city currently employs a City Manager. Bridgeport is home to Meadowbrook Mall, a 100-store regional shopping complex serving North-Central West Virginia.
Bridgeport originally got its name from a cartographer's mistake. Settled in the mid-1700s by early fur traders who came west over the Allegheny Mountains, settlers were forced to build forts to protect themselves from the elements, as well as from Native Americans who didn't care for the intrusion on their lands.