Britton is a city in and the county seat of Marshall County, South Dakota, United States. The population was 1,241 at the 2010 census.
A weekly newspaper, the Britton Journal, is published in Britton.
Britton was founded in 1884 as a stop on the Chicago, Milwaukee, St. Paul and Pacific Railroad. In 1885, the town was designated county seat of the newly formed Marshall County. It received its city rights in 1906. The city is named after Isaac Britton, a railroad official.
Britton is located at 45°47′34″N 97°45′10″W (45.792817, -97.752912).
According to the United States Census Bureau, the city has a total area of 0.73 square miles (1.89 km2), all land.
Britton has been assigned the ZIP code 57430 and the FIPS place code 07380.
As of the census of 2010, there were 1,241 people, 574 households, and 313 families living in the city. The population density was 1,700.0 inhabitants per square mile (656.4/km2).