Brooklyn is a village in Jackson County in the U.S. state of Michigan. The population was 1,206 at the 2010 census. It is located in the Irish Hills region of southern Michigan, just north of U.S. Route 12 along M-50. The village is located within Columbia Township.
The village is well known for its proximity to Michigan International Speedway, which is just south in Cambridge Township.
The village was founded by Calvin Swain, who filed the first land claim on June 16, 1832 and named his settlement Swainsville. In a town meeting vote on August 5, 1836, the community elected to change the town's name to Brooklyn. The town is named after Brooklyn, New York.
A sign marking Swain's historical discovery currently stands in the town square.
The area was primarily a summer vacation spot for residents of metropolitan Detroit who owned cottages near lakes in the area. With the nearby additions of Interstate 94 in the late 1950s and Michigan International Speedway in the late 1960s, Brooklyn established a year-round population.