Camuy (Spanish pronunciation: [kaˈmuj]) is a municipality of Puerto Rico, bordering the Atlantic Ocean, north of Lares and San Sebastián; east of Quebradillas; and west of Hatillo. Camuy is spread over 12 barrios and Camuy Pueblo (the downtown area and the administrative center of the city). The town celebrated its 200th anniversary in 2007.
Camuy is part of the "Porta Atlántico" Tourist Area.
Camuy also known as the Romantic City (la ciudad romántica) was founded in 1807 by Petronila Matos, and formerly part of Arecibo is located in the northwestern coastal region of Puerto Rico, less than 5 minutes west of Hatillo municipality, on PR-2 and PR-119. As early as 1846, Puente Camuy, a bridge over the Camuy River linked Camuy with Hatillo. The name Camuy derives from the Taíno language, although a number of legends give differing explanations for the origin of the name. One such legend claims the name comes from the Taíno word for "sun", another claims derivation from camuy, Taíno for "beautiful scenery", and still another states that Camuy was the name of the Taíno chief Yumac with the letters in reverse order. The "sun" legend is reflected in the coat of arms for the municipality.
Puerto Rico was ceded by Spain in the aftermath of the Spanish–American War under the terms of the see of 1898 and became a territory of the United States. In 1899, the United States conducted its first census of Puerto Rico finding that the population of Camuy was 10,887.
In its beginnings Camuy was integrated into the Partition of San Antonio de la Tuna.