Cannelton is a city in Troy Township, Perry County, in the U.S. state of Indiana, along the Ohio River. The population was 1,563 at the 2010 census. Cannelton, which was the smallest incorporated city in the state until 2010, was formerly the county seat of Perry County until the seat was relocated to Tell City.
The name Cannelton was adopted in 1844, and is derived from the cannel coal that was once mined in the area. A post office has been in operation at Cannelton since 1844.
The Cannelton Cotton Mill, Cannelton Historic District, and St. Luke's Episcopal Church are listed on the National Register of Historic Places.
Cannelton is located at 37°54′36″N 86°44′24″W (37.910134, -86.739931).
According to the 2010 census, Cannelton has a total area of 1.582 square miles (4.10 km2), of which 1.48 square miles (3.83 km2) (or 93.55%) is land and 0.102 square miles (0.26 km2) (or 6.45%) is water.
The climate in this area is characterized by hot, humid summers and generally mild to cool winters. According to the Köppen Climate Classification system, Cannelton has a humid subtropical climate, abbreviated "Cfa" on climate maps.
As of the census of 2010, there were 1,563 people, 687 households, and 385 families living in the city. The population density was 1,056.1 inhabitants per square mile (407.8/km2). There were 809 housing units at an average density of 546.6 per square mile (211.0/km2). The racial makeup of the city was 97.4% White, 0.1% African American, 0.6% Native American, 0.1% Asian, 0.4% from other races, and 1.3% from two or more races.