Canton, officially the Charter Township of Canton, is a charter township of Wayne County in the U.S. state of Michigan. As of the 2010 census, the township had a population of 90,173.
Canton Township is Michigan's second most-populated township (after Clinton Township) and eleventh most-populated municipality overall. The township is ranked as the 96th highest-income place in the United States with a population of 50,000 or more and is also consistently ranked as one of the safest cities in the state and nation. In 2015, the township was ranked as the 29th safest city in the United States.
- Sheldon or Sheldon's Corners is a historic locale in the south of the township on U.S. Highway 12 just west of Interstate 275 at 42°16′29″N 83°28′33″W. It is named after Timothy F. Sheldon who purchased lands there in 1842. The Sheldons built a Greek Revival home on their land, and the building, the Sheldon Inn, almost immediately became an inn, serving the influx of travelers and settlers spreading westward from Detroit.
- Cherry Hill is a historic locale in the west of the township at 42°18′22″N 83°32′10″W at the intersection of Cherry Hill Road and Ridge Road. It is the site of a new urbanist neighborhood with architecture that is supposed to be reminiscent of what Canton was like a hundred years ago. It is located on a rise over a branch of the Lower River Rouge. It is now the site of a theatre, the Village Theater.
Earlier, on October 20, 1829, the legislature had passed a bill creating the townships of Lima and Richland out of Bucklin Township. Governor Lewis Cass returned the acts unapproved, citing a conflict under the law.