Cavalier is the largest city in Pembina County, North Dakota, United States. It is the county seat of Pembina County. The population was 1,302 at the 2010 census. Cavalier was founded in 1875 and became the county seat in 1911.
Although they bear the same name, Cavalier is not located in nearby Cavalier County. The Tongue River flows past Cavalier and Cavalier Air Force Station is located near the city.
Cavalier was laid out in 1875 on open land. The city was named for Charles Cavileer, an early settler in Pembina County (a recording error accounts for the error in spelling, which was never corrected). A post office has been in operation at Cavalier since 1877. Cavalier was incorporated in 1902.
In the early 1970s, the city of Cavalier's population quadrupled in size due to the U.S. anti ballistic missile program.