Champlin ( CHAMP-lən) is a city in Hennepin County, Minnesota, United States. The population was 23,089 at the 2010 census. Champlin is a northern suburb of Minneapolis.
U.S. Highway 169 and Hennepin County Road 12 (CR 12) are two of the main routes in Champlin.
Champlin lies along the Mississippi River, surrounded by the cities of Anoka, Dayton, Brooklyn Park, Maple Grove and Coon Rapids, 18 miles (29 km) northwest of Minneapolis.
According to the United States Census Bureau, the city has a total area of 8.73 square miles (22.61 km2), of which 8.17 square miles (21.16 km2) is land and 0.56 square miles (1.45 km2) is water.
The average elevation is 875 feet (267 m) above sea level, and the Mississippi River is approximately one-eighth of a mile wide throughout Champlin.
The Champlin area was first settled when Father Louis Hennepin, a Franciscan priest from whom Hennepin County gets its name, Michael Accult, and Peter Dulay were captured by Lakota Indians. An Indian trading post was later established in the area. Charles Miles created the first permanent settlement in what came to be named Marshall Township. In 1859, it was split into two towns, Champlin and Dayton.