Chester is a town in Middlesex County, Connecticut, United States. The population was 3,994 at the 2010 census. The town center is also defined by the U.S. Census Bureau as a census-designated place (CDP). The name is a transfer from Chester, in England.
The Wangunks, a river tribe of Native Americans, occupied the land called Pattaconk prior to English settlement of the area in 1692. The town was formed from the northern quarter of Saybrook and incorporated in 1836. Back in 1769, Jonathan Warner was granted permission to operate a ferry across the Connecticut River that became the Chester-Hadlyme Ferry, the second-oldest continuously operating ferry service in Connecticut. Its location is currently a state historical landmark.
According to the United States Census Bureau, the town has a total area of 16.8 square miles (44 km2), of which, 16.0 square miles (41 km2) of it is land and 0.8 square miles (2.1 km2) of it (4.75%) is water. The CDP has a total area of 2.1 square miles (5.4 km2) of which 1.46% is water.
At the 2000 census there were 3,743 people, 1,510 households, and 1,005 families living in the town.