Chetopa is a city in Labette County, Kansas, United States. As of the 2010 census, the city population was 1,125. Chetopa was named for Chief Chetopah, an Osage Indian chief. Later, the community name was shortened.
The community began as an Osage village, named after its Chief Chetopah, whose name in the Osage language signifies "four lodges," was an advocate of peace, the leading chief of the Little Osage tribe, and one of the chief counselors of the Osage Nation.
In 1847 a trading post to exchange goods with the Osage Nation was established here by Larkin McGhee. By the time of McGhee's arrival there were three other Euro-American families plus two families with a Euro-American husband and a Cherokee wife at Chetopa. There were also many Osage there.
Chetopa was the site of a September 18, 1861 battle between the 6th Kansas Cavalry under the direction of James G. Blunt and pro-slavery raiders led by John Allan Mathews, whose wife was an Osage and was culturally identified with the Osages.
The first post office in Chetopa was established in April 1867. In 1880, Postmaster J.M. Cavaness petitioned the removal of the ending “h” in the original spelling to become Chetopa.
Chetopa is located at 37°2′15″N 95°5′31″W (37.037452, -95.091892). According to the United States Census Bureau, the city has a total area of 1.42 square miles (3.68 km2), of which 1.34 square miles (3.47 km2) is land and 0.08 square miles (0.21 km2) is water.
The climate in this area is characterized by hot, humid summers and generally mild to cool winters. According to the Köppen Climate Classification system, Chetopa has a humid subtropical climate, abbreviated "Cfa" on climate maps.
As of the census of 2010, there were 1,125 people, 493 households, and 292 families residing in the city. The population density was 839.6 inhabitants per square mile (324.2/km2).