Chouteau is the second-largest town in Mayes County, Oklahoma, United States. The population was 2,097 at the 2010 census, an increase of 8.6 percent over the figure of 1,931 recorded in 2000.
Chouteau is located at 36°11′13″N 95°20′18″W.
According to the United States Census Bureau, the town has a total area of 2.4 square miles (6.2 km2), all land.
The town is situated near the junction of U.S. Routes 69 and 412.
Chouteau, originally called Cody's Creek, became a stop on the Katy railroad in 1871. It soon became a thriving cattle town. The name was changed to Chouteau after the creek that flows north of town that was named for French fur trader Auguste Pierre Chouteau from the Chouteau family. Auguste created the first permanent white settlement in present-day Salina, Oklahoma.
As of the 2010 census Chouteau had a population of 2,097. The racial and ethnic composition of the population was 74.9% white, 0.2% black or African American, 16.3% Native American, 0.2% Asian, 0.1% Pacific Islander, 0.2% some other race and 8.1% from two or more races. 1.8% of the population was Hispanic or Latino of any race.
As of the census of 2000, there were 1,931 people, 751 households, and 560 families residing in the town.