Clintonville is a city in Waupaca County, Wisconsin, United States. The population was 4,559 at the 2010 census. The area that became Clintonville was first settled in March, 1855.
Clintonville lies within ancestral Menominee territory. In the Menominee language, it is known as Omīniahkan, "place where pigeons are hunted". It was ceded to the United States by the Menominee in 1836 through the Treaty of the Cedars, an agreement to sell over four million acres to the United States as part of the negotiations about how to accommodate the Oneida, Stockbridge-Munsee, and Brothertown peoples who were being removed from New York to Wisconsin. After this, the area around Clintonville became available for purchase by white American settlers.
In March, 1855 Norman Clinton and his family U. P. Clinton, Boardman Luman, and Mandy settled along the bank of the Pigeon River. They built the first establishment that grew into the city of Clintonville. The home they built was constructed of poles covered with hemlock boughs. It was used until a more suitable home built of logs could be constructed.